Paid Surveys Guides



             


Friday, February 13, 2009

Auto repair survey offers opportunity of free speech


"Other" - it appears on most public opinion surveys as the final choice of a category. It's usually found at the bottom, serving as an often-ignored, informational catchall.

In the realm of surveys, "other" is the respondent's chance to exercise a degree of poetic license within the otherwise cold, matter-of-fact nature of market research. Here, a person can do more than just check a box or fill in a dot; it's a chance to express a long hidden opinion or a passing thought - an unexpected creative outlet.

In 2005, National Shopping Service issued a 25-question customer satisfaction survey for automotive repair services. Of the 3,674 people who responded, 656 chose the option of "other" to express themselves, enough to place this usually generic survey tail-ender into the top ten overall for both men and women.

A frequent response to "other" came from those who requested a television for the waiting room, while others didn't want one there at all. Some opinions were more specific:

"If there is a TV in the waiting room, make sure it gets a clear picture and no soap operas on. A news channel is preferred."

"I would not like the waiting area to have a loud TV stuck on annoying daytime shows, rather, interesting travel videos."

The importance of perception was important to customers in regard to the mechanics themselves:

"I want a qualified repair man, not a young kid who thinks he knows it all."

"If for some reason my husband is with me and it is my car I bring in, I expect the employee to speak to me and not be ignored."

"I don't like to see signs saying that the business isn't responsible for any stolen items. I think they should have the kind of employees working for them that won't steal out of customer's cars!"

"I want the service technician to be certified to service my vehicles before he performs work on my car."

Practicality also entered the picture. One person thought providing a low-cost loaner was a good idea, while another suggested providing a telephone to call for a ride or consult with a spouse. The request of extra assistance for the disabled and the elderly was mentioned as well.

Customer service in general was a popular topic. More than one person stated a dislike for mechanics "trying to upsell extras" perceived as "unnecessary." Another customer requested a renovation of the garage itself:

"I would like a window from the waiting area so I can observe the work being done on my car."

Time is important to everyone, and automotive repair customers are no different. The issue of time came up frequently:

"I want an estimate of time, and that [the] time [is to] be accurate within 15 minutes."

"I want a realistic estimate of the time it will take to complete the estimate AND I want a realistic estimate of the time it will take to fix the problem."

"For services that will take more than one hour, [I'd like] a shuttle service to the nearest mall."

Requests also included the installation of vending machines, a children's area, or supplying reading material "less than two years old." In fact, reading material was a rub with several of the survey participants. For example:

"[Provide] current magazines for both female and male, and NO obscene, girly posters all over the place." Or, "If there are reading materials present I would like a variety, not just Motor Trend, Harley World and NASCAR Racing."

To some respondents, first appearances and upkeep matter:

"I do not want a waiting area that has dusty chairs with worn fabrics, nor for my car to smell like grease when I get back into it."

"Landscaped areas need to be litter-free and recently mowed and trimmed."

"I'm very particular about the cleanliness of the bathroom. Usually gas station bathrooms are awful."

Other customers want more than just having their car repaired:

"I want a clean waiting area, no TV, sound-reducing cubicles with comfortable chairs, up-to-date popular magazines, complimentary fountain drink stations and a coin operated snack vending machine available. And offer a repeat customer award."

"A telephone would be nice. At the Mercedes dealership, they have desks with computer plug-ins."

"I want my car to be completely hand-washed after I obtain service from this company, FREE OF CHARGE, as well as a sign stating this."

"I would like to see more women working at these places. I would feel more comfortable if there were a woman around."

For one respondent, workplace liability means nothing:

"I would like the choice to watch what they are repairing on my car - at my own risk."

And, finally, one person combined his wishes and his critique in one breath:

"I want to have some place to smoke and maybe some newspapers or magazines to peruse. And as for that coffee, I want REAL cream, not that powdered junk!"

Daniel Dullum, an award-winning newspaper reporter, works in the public relations and business development department of National Shopping Service, Rocklin, California.

Labels: , , , ,